Thursday, October 3, 2013

October 3rd

A couple of weeks later, we got a call.  The caseworker said that my little friend was looking for a new home.  Her recent foster parents had bagged up her stuff and dropped her at the agency.  This of course made myself and my family very angry, we said yes we would take her.

When they showed up at our door it was 8pm on a Wednesday night.  The little girl at the door was not my little friend.  The case worker, very worried, said, “you’ll take her won’t you?”  As she said this the child pushed through the door, dropped her coat on the floor and went running through the house as if she knew where everything was at.  So I said, “We’ll try her through the weekend to see how she fits with our family.”  The caseworker proceeded to show me the IEP from her previous school.  I had never read an IEP and neither had the caseworker, so what we thought was 80% achievement was actually a goal of 80%. 

To make it a little easier to write, I will name our daughter Anna, not her real name.  Anna did not say a word to us, I went through the black garbage bag she came with to find pajamas and found nothing but trash.  I think the former foster parents wanted her out of their house so fast, they started throwing things in the bag.  There were shoes 3 sizes too big, a training bra, broken toys, a nasty stuffed animal, box of broken crayons, and miscellaneous garbage.  No other clothes.  So I put her to bed in some pajamas that we had and tucked her in. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment